Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, February 28, 2014

john keats. on first looking into chapman's homer. [poems]


Much have I travell'd in the realms of gold,
     And many goodly states and kingdoms seen;
     Round many western islands have I been
Which bards in fealty to Apollo hold.
Oft of wide expanse had I been told
     That deep-brow'd Homer ruled as his demesne;
     Yet did I never breathe its pure serene
Till I heard Chapman speak out loud and bold: 
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
     When a new planet swims into his ken;
Or like stout Cortez when with his eagle eyes
     He star'd at the Pacific - and all his men 
Look'd at each other with wild surmise -
     Silent, upon a peak in Darien.
Keats, John. "On First Looking Into Chapman's Homer". The Norton Anthology of Poetry. 5th ed. Eds. Margaret Ferguson, Mary Jo Salter and Jon Stallworthy. New York, London : W.W. Norton & Company, 2005.



No comments:

Post a Comment